To regulate foreigners’ employment, the MOHRE has established a stringent policy. This is because more foreigners are applying for high-paying positions. According to national legislation, a person must have both an employment visa and a work permit in UAE in order to lawfully work in the area. Consequently, if you are a business, you must provide this employment license to employees.
In this article, we will be talking about the work permit in UAE. Understanding the distinctions between an employment visa and a work permit may be difficult for many people. In order to clear up any confusion, we put up a comprehensive guide to aid you in understanding the three-year work permit UAE.
Types of Work Permits
The first category of work permits includes:
- Family residence: This permit is available to those whose family member sponsors a residence visa. In this case, the employer only needs to submit a work permit application. They do not have to sponsor the worker’s visa, though. Dependents can get this permit with the help of PRO services in the UAE.
- Juvenile work permit: This is for minors who want to lawfully work in the region. Teenagers who wish to work in the private sector must produce official documentation of parental or guardian approval. A company must also meet additional criteria that comply with the UAE labor laws before requesting a juvenile work visa. This includes limiting the amount of time juveniles can work (to a maximum of six hours per day) and forbidding the hiring of them for hazardous or physically demanding tasks.
- Student work permit: Anyone who is 15 years of age or older and resides in the UAE can apply to work in the region after obtaining training. According to the UAE’s official site, this permit is only available to students who want to sign up for a 3-month apprenticeship at a private enterprise. Before a minor is hired or trained, their legal guardian or parent must also grant authorization in writing.
2nd work permit group:
- Foreign permit: Companies on the mainland or in the free zones are able to hire foreign workers with the help of this permit.
- Freelance permit: You could qualify for this kind of work visa if you plan to work on your own. Anyone who wants to work independently but does not have an active contract of employment or sponsorship from a specific UAE company receives this authorization, according to MOHRE.
How to Get a Work Permit in UAE?
International investment is up recently in the United Arab Emirates. This is due to its diverse economic status, progressive political system, low tax climate, and open government.
Many businesses are considering expanding to the UAE in order to take advantage of these opportunities and guarantee of limitless access to different markets. Businesses with global ambitions are focusing on this promising industry. All due to its strong global system of tax treaties and positive cash flow.
As a result, they must build a local workforce as they grow to the UAE. These workers must therefore possess their own UAE work permit in order to lawfully work in the area. In the United Arab Emirates, a work permit is a legal document that enables people to work for companies doing business there.
The employer is in charge of starting the license application process and seeing that all necessary procedures are in place. The Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization (MOHRE) is responsible of releasing the official paperwork following the conclusion of the application procedure.
A recent announcement states that a UAE work visa is typically valid for up to 2 years. The UAE’s Federal National Council (FNC) is extending work licenses for an additional three years, which is a good step. This action aims to lower the expense associated with obtaining work permits. The license should be granted for a period of three years, and work permit fees relating to job transfers should be omitted, according to the FNC Committee on Financial, Economic, and Industrial Relations.
Applying, Renewing & Canceling Work Permits
To work lawfully in the UAE, foreign nationals must possess a current work permit UAE and employment visa. The holder of a work visa who resides in Dubai is exempt from further resident visa requirements. You have the right to stay there legally for a specific amount of time with the help of a work visa.
Whether foreigners require a UAE work permit or not depends on three factors. One must exist if:
- You land a job while traveling.
- While you are in the area on a visit visa, job opportunities can become available.
- You want to change jobs.
To hasten this process, the MOHRE and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation first set up offices abroad.
The alternative is to leave the UAE before applying for a work permit there. You are unable to go on an aircraft and fly back to where you live. To obtain a work permit in the UAE, you can fly and stopover in a nearby nation.
The recruiting employer may also use the ‘Change Status’ feature that the GDRFA offers in Dubai. In this instance, leaving the nation is not necessary to obtain a work permit UAE.
The third situation involves obtaining a new work visa in addition to being recruited by a new employer. A worker whose contract expires owing to contract expiration may be qualified for a new work visa UAE. This is if they are able to locate a new professional opportunity, per Article 1 of Minister Order No. 766 of 2015.
The procedure for Applying for a Work Permit
One of the most important things to comprehend about working in the UAE is that it is the job of the employer to obtain the necessary visa and work permit. You cannot acquire these licenses or permits on your own as an employee.
The business must have a current trading license in order to start the application procedure.
In order to apply for a work visa in the UAE, follow these steps:
- Firstly, on the TASHEEL page, the company must print the permit request form.
- Consequently, they have to provide the essential documentation.
- Then, after reviewing the application, the ministry will determine whether any documents have been absent or if it needs to be amended.
- Finally, you can get permission from the website as soon as the authorities grant the necessary approvals.
The MOHRE reserves the right not to renew or issue a work permit in certain situations. These circumstances include:
- The corporation’s counterfeit character.
- The company’s submission of false documentation.
- Company’s lack of active participation in legally permitted business operations.
- The lack of respect shown by the business for the salaries protection scheme or other labor market regulation measures.
The procedure Renewing for a Work Permit
The renewal process is the same as the one to obtain it for the first time. Therefore, the employer must provide the renewal form and documents to the necessary authorities.
The procedure Canceling for a Work Permit
The Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization (MOHRE) must receive an application from the employer or the employee’s sponsor in order to do the work permit cancellation UAE. This unlike an entry permit, which can be canceled at any time. This step is necessary to start the work permit cancellation process.
Through the MOHRE website, it is straightforward to complete the procedure for canceling for a work permit UAE. The step-by-step instruction for canceling the permission is:
Go to MOHRE’s site.
- Submit application.
- Include the documents.
- Pay the fees.
- See your work permit cancellation status in UAE.
Before beginning the cancellation, the company must satisfy all of the employee’s entitlements and get their permission to sign the permit cancelation form.
To terminate a work permit, candidates must be able to present the following paperwork:
- MOHRE request form.
- Residency visa details.
- Medical certificate.
- Death certificate (if necessary).
In essence, there is no cost for the service. However, companies have a responsibility to pay the AED 72 Business Centers commission as well as any related tax fees and collection costs.
Cost of Work Permit
According to various sources, the cost of a work permit in Dubai is as follows:
- Category 1: 300 AED.
- Category 2: 500 to 2000 AED.
Whether a worker has expertise or not will the UAE work permit cost. Also, the UAE work permit processing time can last up to 10 working days.
If you want to learn more about employer responsibilities and employment practices in the UAE, you can go to our insights section.
On the other hand, if you need support to recruit and hire employees in the UAE, we are the partner you need. With Connect Staff, you can find the talent you need to expand your team. We have access to top-notch candidates in almost any industry. Therefore, with us, you will obtain the benefits of hiring professionals in the UAE. Send us an email with your needs at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at +971 43 316 688.