We hear very often that some company is recruiting or staffing. People may think staffing and recruitment are synonymous. In a city with constant growth such as Dubai, we’re going to see these words several times. That’s why we have to be aware of staffing is different from recruitment.
In this article, you will learn everything about what differentiates staffing from recruitment. You’ll understand the difference between these two concepts. Also, you’ll be able to know how the process of each of them is and how to use them properly. Let’s observe:
- What is staffing?
- What is recruitment?
- Main differences between staffing and recruiting.
- Tips for being helped by a staffing agency.
- How can Connect Staff help you?
1. What is staffing?
You may use staffing to fill a position at your business that is presently vacant. It’s used for temporary employment. Examples can be assisting your team at an event or providing a specific service during a project. Staffing is appealing to persons who are unemployed because of its short-term nature.
It should be noticed that these unemployed people are called active candidates. Someone who already has a job isn’t going to abandon it for a staffing post. According to the numbers, one-third of staffing personnel work in the industrial sector, one-quarter in the office and clerical sector.
Generally, for solving their staffing needs, companies acquire specialized agency services. Most agencies have a database of applicants searching for short-term jobs. These people are ready to start right away. The agency evaluates and interviews these applicants. Then, they give you a selection of top candidates to pick from.
In addition, one advantage of staffing is that it eliminates some of the recruitment requirements. For example, there’s no need to pay benefits to employees. You will not have to worry about taxes either. You could even be able to bypass extensive background checks.
1.1. Staffing process.
- Human Resource Planning. The first step is to determine the workforce requirements of your organization. Plan the number of staff you’ll need. Also, the attributes you’re looking for in them.
- Recruitment. It entails searching for and obtaining candidates for open positions. Create conditions and encourage job searchers to apply for the opening to maximize the number of applications.
- List of candidates. In this list will be the relevant individuals who demonstrate the requested credentials and skills from the pool of applications.
- Induction and orientation. Here is where you introduce your new employee to the organization and familiarize him with job responsibilities and workplace culture.
- Training and development. Educate your personnel on the technical skills essential for their professions. Also, pay attention to their overall growth.
- Performance Appraisal. Review your employee’s work performance and overall contribution to the organization regularly.
- Employment decisions. Make decisions about promotions and job advancement.
1.2. When to staff?
You should consider staffing when:
- You need to fill a temporary or contract role.
- The position demands either particular talents or unskilled labor.
- You want to fill the post as soon as possible.
- It’s necessary to fill several roles such as during an expansion.
- The position requires little training.
2. What is recruitment?
Recruiting is the process of searching for and getting potential applicants for a position. This process is where the best candidates are chosen. It refers to encouraging and receiving as many applications as possible from job seekers. It represents the employer’s initial interaction with potential applicants.
As a result, it’s via recruiting that people learn about the company they will be working for. Then, they will decide whether or not they want to work for it. Businesses have to determine the quality and kind of personnel they need.
Following this, they must identify potential sources of recruiting to discover the best fit for the position. Internal (recruitment from within the organization) and external (recruitment from outside the organization) are the two sources of recruiting. Recruitment companies evaluate both active and passive candidates.
However, the emphasis is on passive applicants (those who are presently working). That’s because when professionals reach a particular level in their jobs, they are seldom unemployed and are frequently eager to pursue new opportunities.
2.1. Recruitment process.
What you do in recruiting is simply hunt for and get prospective applicants for the position. The best applicant will be picked throughout the selection process that is part of the staffing procedure. Here are some steps that apply to most companies in Dubai:
- At the time of the recruiting process, the organization must encourage job seekers to apply as many times as feasible.
- To entice job seekers, recruiters must increase the visibility of job openings. They will accomplish this through advertising the vacancy and the organization. They can try on job boards, social media, newspapers, calls, and so on.
- Generally, people learn about open positions in your organization through the recruitment process. It is now up to them to submit applications for them.
- Hiring from within or outside the organization is what recruitment includes. Internal and external recruitment are phrases used to describe the process.
- You get applications from job seekers. Then, the recruiting process is complete.
2.2. When to recruit?
You certainly should consider recruitment when:
- You would like full-time and permanent staff.
- There’s no need to rush; you may wait till the ideal applicant appears.
- You’re looking for people for high-level jobs. For example, senior manager or the CEO.
3. Main differences between staffing and recruiting.
Staffing is different from recruitment for many reasons, and here are some:
The recruiting process is looking for potential workers for a position and encouraging them to apply. Staffing, on the other hand, refers to the process of approaching, hiring, training, rewarding, and keeping an organization’s personnel.
3.2. Employee types.
Recruitment companies hunt for higher-level jobs than staffing ones. Generally, jobs focused on management or executive level employment. Staffing agencies, however, often seek lower-level professionals. They can be administrative assistants or clerks. Staffing agencies often specialize in short-term or temporary employment. By contrast, recruitment firms strive to put full-time employees.
3.3. Techniques for hiring.
To discover the ideal people, recruitment and staffing agencies frequently utilize a variety of methods. Recruitment agencies promote a company’s job postings on relevant websites and in industry publications. For instance: a nonprofit company is looking for a nonprofit executive director.
In this case, the company is more likely to place the ad on specialized websites. These sites must be specialized in nonprofit professionals, and that’s why they’d be more helpful than newspapers. Respond to these adverts, in the same manner, you would if they were sent straight from the firm.
Then, follow the instructions in the posting to determine how to send your resume and cover letter. Agencies have a pool of available people on hand so that businesses may acquire help when they need it. They may advertise for abilities, not necessarily because a position is available.
In the same way, to keep their skill banks filled, they also welcome walk-in applications. When you apply for a job with a staffing business, you probably have to fill out an additional application.
Recruiting is only one part of staffing and has a restricted reach. However, staffing has a broad reach and encompasses numerous key phases.
3.5. Time frame
The recruitment procedure is a short-term one. Staffing, however, is long-term. Also, there is constant activity since new possibilities may arise inside the firm. So, they’ll need to recruit more. Furthermore, some individuals may retire or quit their employment, resulting in new vacancies. As a result, the staffing process keeps repeating itself.
3.6. Fees and charges.
You mustn’t have to pay a fee as a job seeker to apply through a recruiting or staffing business. They’re rewarded by the firms looking for workers. Some recruiters charge a fixed fee to the employer. Others take a percentage of the new employee’s yearly pay.
Usually, staffing services don’t need upfront payment. Rather, they take a percentage of what the employer pays for you as a temporary employee. For example, the staffing business may bill the employer $20 per hour for your services. But only pay you $10 per hour, with the remainder kept.
Now that you know this, you will be able to negotiate. It doesn’t always work. But it is always worth asking for a higher hourly rate.
3.7. Considerations for the interview
Recruitment companies make the first round of interviews and, sometimes, the second ones. That’s for helping to find the right prospects. Also, they restrict the field to two or three great individuals. You can be selected as a final candidate. If you do, you will have to interview with corporate officials.
By contrast, a distinct strategy is taken by staffing firms. Companies give desired skillsets to the firm. These can be someone with word processing or bookkeeping skills. And then the staffing firm sends over temporary employees who match.
Additionally, whenever you apply for a position with a staffing business, you’ll normally have to take a skills exam. This’s for assessing your competency, just to confirm you know how to manage certain programs. The staffing agency then evaluates your talents. The higher your score, the more money you’ll make.
Opposed to the recruitment company that specifies the degree of expertise required, and the firm dispatches competent temporary staff. If you are accepted, you will not be required to interview with the employer. You just have to show up and begin working on your given responsibilities.
3.8. It’s carried out at the organization level.
Recruitment occurs early in the hiring process when possible applicants are sought and applications are approved. Staffing, on the other hand, is a management activity that is carried out at all organizational levels.
Plus, it involves different activities that extend from the time the employees are recruited till they leave the organization. Some of its responsibilities include recruiting, selection, remuneration and benefits, and promotion.
4. Tips for being helped by a staffing agency.
The demand for staffing has skyrocketed this year. Fresh customers require employing talent, and there are no signs that this will slow down anytime soon. Many businesses use temporary workers to assist manage the workflow while they look for permanent personnel. Here are tips to help you in your process:
- Be honest. It is fine to tell your recruiter what you’re searching for and what you are hoping for. If you want to live in a specific neighborhood, culture, or work environment, you must say it. The more information you provide, the more options they provide to you will be.
- Be quick to respond. If you are unable to respond, please contact them as soon as possible.
- Keep in touch. Don’t wait for them to contact you, even when they have not found the proper position for you. Things may have changed. Opportunities move rapidly. And they don’t want you to miss out on a new opportunity if you are still interested.
- Don’t let yourself become overwhelmed. When businesses utilize a staffing agency means they are ready to hire immediately. You can find yourself with a job offer rather shortly. Ask questions and share your opinions with your recruiter once more.
- Maintain your recruiter up to date. Always keep your agency informed of your changes of mind. As a result, they will be able to help you better.
5. How can Connect Staff help you?
Now you know that staffing is different from recruitment, you should also know that staffing agencies are waiting for you. Certainly, Connect Staff can help you to get your ideal staff without you having to lift a finger.
Our main priority is connecting job seekers with Dubai’s companies that are requiring new staff. There is a wide variety of jobs for you to choose the one that best suits your needs. We will assist you in the best way possible.
Would you like to contact Connect Staff to obtain more information about what differentiates staffing from recruitment? If you have any questions, call us on +97143316688. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and you will talk to one of our representatives who will answer your questions.